US Diversity Lottery
The Diversity Immigrant Visa Program makes 50,000 diversity visas available annually, drawn from random selection among entries of individuals who are from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. Successful DV entrants must be eligible to receive a visa by qualifying based on education, work, and other requirements.
The law and regulations require that every DV entrant must have at least:
- A high school education or its equivalent; or
- Two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years training or experience.
The U.S. Department of State (DOS) holds a lottery each year to determine who gets one of the 50,000 diversity visas available. You must apply through DOS during the online entry registration period, which typically runs from October through December of each year. Diversity visa lottery winners are notified by mail and, if they qualify, are granted a
You may be eligible to obtain a green card (permanent residence) through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program if you meet all of the following conditions:
- You or your principal applicant spouse or principal parent were selected for the Diversity Visa Lottery Program by the U.S. Department of State
- An immigrant visa is immediately available to you at the time you file Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Statuswhich can be determined by reviewing the Visa Bulletin
- You are admissible to the United States